Re: avoid merging stems

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: avoid merging stems
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 09:01:21 +0200

Am 15.06.2015 um 01:43 schrieb musicus:
Ok, this sounds indeed very interesting.
I understand your explenation regarding nesting of <<>> in following way:

<<
  {"layerOne"}
  \\
  <<
    {"layerOne"}
    \\
    {"layerTwo"}

which leads to the problem:

\version "2.19.17"

<<
  {a' a' a' a'}
  \\
  {
    b b
    <<
      {c c}
      \\
      {a, a,}

  }

I don't think that "a" and "c" should share a stem. Is there any reason to repeat the "layerOne" in nested "<<>>"?
Yes, explained in that very e-mail to which you responded here.

Following by default (without needing \new Voice) seems to be much more understandable.
This is not a matter of changing Lilypond. It’s a matter of using it in accordance with documentation. We can’t make sense of any kind of input which any user might find more intuitive. In order for a syntax change to be considered, the new syntax must offer new possibilities or be considerably easier to type/understand or logically compelling than the current way to do it. The current behaviour is carefully designed and we said all about how to use it in order to get your desired result: use only one layer of <<\\>> or explicitly instantiate voices (\new Voice {}), which is anyway recommended for most situations. Sometimes it’s hard to get a grip of Lilypond’s concepts, but you’ll get there :-)

Regards, Simon