Re: Grace notes causing inverted stems in \tabFullNotation

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Grace notes causing inverted stems in \tabFullNotation
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 17:30:38 +0200

"Phil Burfitt" <address@hidden> writes:

> From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Grace notes causing inverted stems in \tabFullNotation
>

>>That's a rather long-standing problem, namely issue 630
>><URL:https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=630> reported
>>more than 7 years ago but likely present for more than 10 years (See
>><URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/input/regression/collated-files.html#property-grace-polyphony.ly>
>>where the stems of the quarter notes should be in different directions).
>>The good news is that it has been fixed last October in version 2.19.16.
>>
>>The fix involved a fair amount of code, including C++ code.  So there is
>>no reasonable hope to get something equivalent working in
>>version 2.18.2: the only reasonable cure is upgrading.
>>
>>Yes, it is embarrassing that this bug persisted for so long.
>>
>> --
>>David Kastrup
>>

> I was aware of the grace synchronization problem (and solution) in
> multiple voices, but surprisingly I hadn't encountered the stem
> directions one before. Reading the issue 630 link you gave, I see a
> workaround is to place a \voiceXXX command after the grace note...and
> that seems to work - at least in the minimal example I gave.

As opposed to issue 34, there is no dependable or coherent workaround
for all aspects of this problem.  Part of the reason the fix required
C++ is for distinguishing the cases \override ... \grace { ... and
\grace { \override ... ... since \grace sets several voice properties of
its own (like stem direction).

--
David Kastrup