Re: Nashville notation as chord symbols

From: Amelie Zapf
Subject: Re: Nashville notation as chord symbols
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 08:46:45 +0200

Hi Thomas,

> the cleanest way would be to redefine the chordNameFunction, currently
> it's 'ignatzek-chord-names'
> A lot of work though...
>
> That said, I've tried the engraver-route.
> Though, I've absolutely no clue about the nashville-system, thus have
> a thorough look at the output:

Harmonically, this appears to be it. However the Nashville Number System
also has rhythmic markings (for chord changes on odd beats of the
measure, for bars with a different count than the rest, for breaks both
long and short…) that still would have to be introduced in order to make
it a standard-conforming Nashville System chart – the system is quite
rigorously defined.

In essence, we'd need to be able to underline chord symbols, to surround
them with square and diamond-shaped boxes, and to decorate them with
tick marks (´) and two kinds of accents (^ and >). For key changes,
there'd need to be a relative modulation mark (such as "Mod +1/2").

Thanks for all your work,

Amy

--
Dr. Amelie Zapf (address@hidden)
Pianist, Bassist, Guitarist, Composer, Friedrich-Ebert-Str. 25, 14548