Re: Polyphonic notes slur solution

From: Nathan Ho
Subject: Re: Polyphonic notes slur solution
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 02:12:51 -0700

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 11:48 PM, rsfjr <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to overcome an issue. I need to place some slurs in a polyphonic
pair, connecting the noteheads. Is there any workaround?

Hi rsfjr,

LilyPond doesn't support vertical slurs. What you're looking for is \arpeggioParenthesis + \arpeggio: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-as-lines#arpeggio

Cross-voice arpeggios are supported via Staff.connectArpeggios. Unfortunately, cross-voice arpeggios and \arpeggioParenthesis don't work together (!), requiring us to excavate the inner workings of \arpeggioParenthesis and adapt them to the Staff context. It's details like this that make me hate LilyPond sometimes :)

The final outcome:

\new Staff \with {

\consists "Span_arpeggio_engraver"

} {

\set Staff.connectArpeggios = ##t

\override Staff.Arpeggio.stencil = #ly:arpeggio::brew-chord-slur

\override Staff.Arpeggio.X-extent = #ly:grob::stencil-width

<< { b'\arpeggio } \\ { g'\arpeggio } >>

% And, of course, the slur's too short vertically and there's no simple override to fix it...

}

Regards,
Nathan