Re: Sibelius 8

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Sibelius 8
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 19:33:13 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Sibelius 8 has arrived - and gives an implicit answer to the questions
> that have arisen after they let their collected development competence
> go ...
> http://www.sibeliusblog.com/news/sibelius-8-is-here/
>
> Even according to the (independent) Sibelius blog the major feature of
> the new version bump is the licensing model:
> "Even though the “new Sibelius“, released today, bears the version
> number 8.0 under the hood, it’s clear why Avid is keen to avoid using
> it: Sibelius 8 is the thinnest release ever for a Sibelius product that
> turns the left-most column on the odometer."
>
> I feel that sounds quite desperate ...

Well, it is a skeptical _outsider's_ blog, not in any way connected with
Sibelius' company other than being a customer.  The release announcement
from Avid will certainly sound different.

We are talking about a new developer team, and they have integrated
annotations as a feature.  That's not messing with the core part of the
typesetter, but it's also not totally disconnected.

Sounds about par regarding new achievements for a team that needs to
make itself acquainted with the entire code base after the original
authors have been let go.

Interactive notetaking is a core feature of the Scora music stand
<URL:http://scora.net> based on LilyPond.  Since LilyPond itself does
not have a GUI, this is probably built into the viewing backend.

More generic facilities that would help support this kind of note
addition in Frescobaldi, Denemo, Laborejo and whatever else might be of
interest to let this kind of graphical note survive a retypesetting.

At any rate: Sibelius and LilyPond are so little comparable in their
approach to typesetting and user interface that we can indeed count
Sibelius 8 as an important change with relation to LilyPond: a licensing
scheme change is much more likely to push users over the rather large
edge than anything else.

--
David Kastrup