Re: Sibelius 8

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Sibelius 8
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 19:49:47 +0200

Am 24.06.2015 um 19:33 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Sibelius 8 has arrived - and gives an implicit answer to the questions
>> that have arisen after they let their collected development competence
>> go ...
>> http://www.sibeliusblog.com/news/sibelius-8-is-here/
>>
>> Even according to the (independent) Sibelius blog the major feature of
>> the new version bump is the licensing model:
>> "Even though the “new Sibelius“, released today, bears the version
>> number 8.0 under the hood, it’s clear why Avid is keen to avoid using
>> it: Sibelius 8 is the thinnest release ever for a Sibelius product that
>> turns the left-most column on the odometer."
>>
>> I feel that sounds quite desperate ...
>
> Well, it is a skeptical _outsider's_ blog, not in any way connected with
> Sibelius' company other than being a customer.

This may legally be true, but it's not really the case. This blog was
initiated and for a long time driven by Daniel Spreadbury as long as he
was with Avid.
So I'd rather conceive their relation to Avid similar to that of Scores
of Beauty to LilyPond.

> The release announcement
> from Avid will certainly sound different.

Sure.

> We are talking about a new developer team, and they have integrated
> annotations as a feature.  That's not messing with the core part of the
> typesetter, but it's also not totally disconnected.
>
> Sounds about par regarding new achievements for a team that needs to
> make itself acquainted with the entire code base after the original
> authors have been let go.
>
> Interactive notetaking is a core feature of the Scora music stand
> <URL:http://scora.net> based on LilyPond.  Since LilyPond itself does
> not have a GUI, this is probably built into the viewing backend.
>
> More generic facilities that would help support this kind of note
> addition in Frescobaldi, Denemo, Laborejo and whatever else might be of
> interest to let this kind of graphical note survive a retypesetting.

I have that on my agenda for ScholarLY and its integration with
Frescobaldi. One of the features the ScholarLY annotations should get is
the ability to engrave visible annotations upon request.
However, this would be much cooler if we would find a way to put stuff
on PDF layers (or Optional Content Groups IIRC).

> At any rate: Sibelius and LilyPond are so little comparable in their
> approach to typesetting and user interface that we can indeed count
> Sibelius 8 as an important change with relation to LilyPond: a licensing
> scheme change is much more likely to push users over the rather large
> edge than anything else.

Which is a nice gift for us ;-)

Urs