Re: Expanded fingering diagrams?

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Expanded fingering diagrams?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:48:46 +0100

On 25/06/15 22:17, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:

> However, as the owner and player of (for example) a contrabassoon with a
> key layout that differs from the one provided, I'd like to know: what
> capabilities are there for expanding the library of diagrams? What
> about, for example, bass flute? Or the Kingma system flute (which has
> keys for quartertones)? What about the French bassoon, or the German
> clarinet? Oboe d'amore, English Horn, Heckelphone? Brass instruments?

As a brass player, I've thought about adding automatic fingering for
them, but it's fairly tricky. Okay, the notation is simple, any
combination of "123" in the basic form, but obviously *some* instruments
have a fourth valve, the trombone has a slide and sometimes a 4th AND
5TH valve, and quite often despite 13 and 4 being nominally the same,
they're in practice noticeably different.

So doing fingering for brass would be pretty easy. Getting it to do a
good job without a lot of effort, wouldn't. (But that's probably true of
most areas :-)

Cheers,
Wol
(Who was thinking of this back in the 2.4 days ...)