Re: OT: (Web) server administration advice

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: OT: (Web) server administration advice
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 23:23:53 +0100

Option 1) Can you run a VM within your VPS?  Some systems work, others
throw a fit if you try it.  If it does work, then you can build and
model your desired main system within the VM.

Option 2) A basic development machine like a Raspberry Pi will give
you a machine to play with.

Option 3) Will your home machine run up a VM?  You only need to access
it from your real machine for test purposes.

Whatever option you choose I would recommend for the long term getting
to grips with "raw" Linux.  With 10 years under your belt you ought to
know all the basics, use the various fora and man pages to flesh out
your knowledge.  Even consider buying "dead tree" documentation - £50
on a good book will quickly repay itself, it's less than an hour's
chargeout time.

The web server ought to be virtually out-of-the-box and all distros
come with some sort of mail server: postfix is generally easier than
sendmail.

HTH, Martin