Re: Partial Bars

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: Partial Bars
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 07:43:44 +0100

On 1 July 2015 at 07:28, Chris Yate <address@hidden> wrote:

On 1 Jul 2015 04:56, "Helge Kruse" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Can you please include a minimal compilable example that shows your problem? I don't plan to do both
> - goto the next shop or library to get that menut
> - guess what 'part' expresses in the context of that piece
> - write an example that could probably the same problems yours have
>
> Partial measures are possible in different ways, also 'in the middle'.
>
> Best regards
> Helge

Bill,

I have had this exact problem with typesetting Beethoven before.

One solution is to temporarily change the time signature, but remove the time signature engraver. I'll try to find an example later (on my phone just now).

Chris

Bill,

Here's the way I actually did it...

\version "2.18.2"
\language "english"

\relative c {
  \compressFullBarRests
  \key ef \major
  \time 6/8
  \clef bass
  \tempo "Andante"
  r8 ef (g af f d)
  f (ef) g g4 (bf8)
  R2.
  \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 2 8)
  ef8 r \bar "|." \break
  \tempo "Adagio"
  \time 4/4
  \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 5 8)
  r8^\markup{"VAR. VI"} r2
  \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 4 4)
  ef,,4 f g a
  c d e f \bar "|."