Re: Beginning with Grace Notes

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Beginning with Grace Notes
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 20:33:22 +0200

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm having some trouble beginning a phrase with a grace note. In correct.ly,
> everything looks fine. In incorrect.ly, I've simply erased the opening E in
> the upper staff. This makes the grace note D the first pitch, which for some
> reason creates a treble clef in the lower staff (see incorrect.png) and
> makes the actual bass clef smaller.
>
> Any tips? I'm on Fedora 22.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Sam

It's issue 34
One of our oldest bugs.

As workaround insert grace-note in the other voice as well:

\version "2.19.21"

upper = \relative c {
  \clef bass

  \grace { d16 } c4
}

lower = \relative c {
  \clef bass

  \grace s16 c
}

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \set PianoStaff.instrumentName = #"Piano"
    \new Staff = "upper" \upper
    \new Staff = "lower" \lower

}

HTH,