Re: Partial Bars

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Partial Bars
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 11:01:09 +0200

Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

> Very good example. However, I have two major points to make here:
> – As Lily correctly handles it, both alternatives always start at the
> same bar number (at least in this convention counting repeats only
> once). Thus, the close of the minuet would have bar 16a for the first,
> 16b for the second alternative and (16b) for the partial measure
> opening the trio. (The other convention to which I’m alluding would
> have 24, 32, and (32) respectively, but that isn’t yet supported by
> Lily.)
> – The second alternatives closing both Minuet and Trio need a \set
> Timing.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment 0) at the beginning. With
> your ~2.ly score, I get two failing bar checks. This workaround is
> documented AFAIK.
> – And a small, unrelated remark: the upbeat for the Trio should read
> r8 r4, not the other way round :-)
>
> Correct version attached.

[...]

> \version "2.18.2"

>         \set Timing.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment 0)

[...]

Well, we are likely talking past each other.  I was explicitly talking
about LilyPond's behavior in the 2.19 series (I may have forgotten
adjusting the version header in the examples I posted, though).  You
don't need to mess with Timing.measurePosition then, \partial works in
mid-piece, and LilyPond knows to let each alternative start at the same
measurePosition, regardless of where the last alternative ended.

As developer, I naturally lean towards promoting the stuff we managed to
fix rather than dwelling on how to work around the deficiencies in the
current stable version.

--
David Kastrup