Re: OT: (Web) server administration advice

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: OT: (Web) server administration advice
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 11:52:03 +0200

Hi Martin,

Am 27.06.2015 um 00:23 schrieb J Martin Rushton:
> Option 1) Can you run a VM within your VPS?  Some systems work,
> others throw a fit if you try it.  If it does work, then you can
> build and model your desired main system within the VM.
>
> Option 2) A basic development machine like a Raspberry Pi will
> give you a machine to play with.
>
> Option 3) Will your home machine run up a VM?  You only need to
> access it from your real machine for test purposes.

Option 2) was quite charming, and I would have gone that way if I
hadn't decided to rather use the one-month money-back guarantee of my
ISP and just get my feet wet with the new server.

> Whatever option you choose I would recommend for the long term
> getting to grips with "raw" Linux.  With 10 years under your belt
> you ought to know all the basics, use the various fora and man
> pages to flesh out your knowledge.  Even consider buying "dead
> tree" documentation - £50 on a good book will quickly repay itself,
> it's less than an hour's chargeout time.

I borrowed a serious and current book from the library, and that seems
to give me what I want. Although being around 1.200 pages long it gies
quite concise introductions to the different parts, with quite
reliable walk-through configurations. With the mentioned 10 years this
gives me enough baby-sitting to help myself once their introduction
ends or if I encounter something unexpected in the preset configuration.

> The web server ought to be virtually out-of-the-box and all
> distros come with some sort of mail server: postfix is generally
> easier than sendmail.

Yes, postfix was there and mostly pre-configured, but I had to install
dovecot, spamassassin and clamav manually. I think the set-up is now
working properly, although I couldn't test with an actual domain yet.
(It's funny that you can fully configure the mail server with several
domains even if there's no DNS yet. So I can send and receive an email
through Thunderbird, and that doesn't even leave the server because
it's all routed internally.)

Best
Urs