Re: music function with access to context properties like currentBarNumb

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: music function with access to context properties like currentBarNumber?
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 13:09:23 +0200

Malte Meyn <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 16.07.2015 um 09:05 schrieb Jan-Peter Voigt:

> I don’t understand this completely (never heard of music iterators)
> but this does simply mean that it’s hard or impossible to change
> something early enough in the compilation process, doesn’t it?

[...]

> I wrote a very simple engraver today which tries to modify the
> duration of rests. It seems to have the same problem: The duration of
> events can be changed but it doesn’t shift the following events.

Iterators work on music expressions.  They are responsible for
establishing all of the relative timing.  Several iterators will convert
music expressions into stream events or produce synthetical stream
events.  Engravers work on stream events.

So engravers work at a layer where messing with the general timing is
not an option.  While they can change context properties related to
timing (like measurePosition, currentBarNumber and similar), they don't
change the relative order and sequencing of the general timing.

--
David Kastrup