Re: Italics in headers

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Italics in headers
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 12:48:42 -0700 (MST)

Tim,

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Tim Slattery [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tim Slattery <[hidden email]> wrote:

>How can I italicize just part of a header? What I want is a subhead
>that reads:
>
>(From Les Meslanges - 1750)

Figured it out:

subtitle = \markup { (From \italic{ Les Meslanges}  - 1570)}

Just be aware of one thing if you do it this way (and this is true for any font modifier like \bold, etc.): The printed space between "Les" and "Meslanges" in your solution (which isn't wrong) will be different (usually smaller) than if you put the whole phrase it italics like \italic "Les Meslanges". Both ways are correct, but when you put the whole thing in italics, LilyPond uses the actual font's "space" character instead of letting LilyPond put in its own horizontal space. It's a little thing, but just something to be aware of and log away. Most of the time, I don't think you'll even notice the difference.

Regards,
Abraham