Re: sharping naturals

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: sharping naturals
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 00:31:42 +0200

> On 25 Jul 2015, at 00:18, Brother Gabriel-Marie <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> My problem was a coding issue, not a musical issue.
> I wanted a coding solution to save keystrokes but everyone wanted to talk
> music theory.

If you use
  \language "english"
then flats are suffix ā€œfā€ and sharps ā€œsā€, so that saves keystrokes.

> So I thought I would ask here where everyone knows both.
> In the end, I've learned that there's no easy coding solution and that I'm
> going to have to sharp all the naturals myself in the code.

In LilyPond, as in music staff notation, one enter notes by their names as they
are in the music, and adds a key signature in order to reduce the appearances
of the accidentals within the music itself.

> I am used to programming languages where you can wrap a string in a custom
> function and have it do that for you; moving from regular programming
> languages to a layout code like this requires one to think differently.

There is a transpose function to do that on the semantic level, as was
described.