Fwd: [smufl-discuss] SMuFL development moves to the new W3C Music Notati

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Fwd: [smufl-discuss] SMuFL development moves to the new W3C Music Notation Community Group
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 13:00:05 +0200

This has been around on a few channels, but I'd like to forward it to
this place too.

Development of MusicXML and SMuFL is moved from two commercial companies
to a W3C community group.

This is definitely a big step and will change a few things. However, I'm
not fully convinced it is a good thing _only_. What I'm stumbling over
is that they claim authority on "Music notation" although they actually
are dealing with encoding specifications. What this might lead to is
that a possibly upcoming "web standard for music notation" is reduced
(or "occupied") to MusicXML (and to a lesser extent SMuFL), forcing any
alternatives to be even more marginal than they are now.

Anyway, it's probably better to participate in this development than to
ignore it, so I suggest considering to join that group.

Best
Urs