Re: difficulty getting quoteDuring to work in combination with transposi

From: user3871075
Subject: Re: difficulty getting quoteDuring to work in combination with transposition
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 11:39:22 -0600

David,

Based on this statement from the documentation:

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/writing-parts#quoting-other-voices

The \quoteDuring command uses the \transposition settings of both quoted and quoting parts to produce notes for the quoting part that have the same sounding pitch as those in the quoted part.

it would seem to me like what I've done ought to be correct.  (But I don't deny that it's not working as I would expect! :))  Since the effective transposition of trumpetNotes is c' c', then when that gets quoted into a part with \transposition bes, lilypond should realized that it needs to automatically \transpose c bes that particular passage from trumpetNotes.

Regardless, I tried your various suggestions, and they do indeed fix the problem in the clarinet part, but the alto sax part stubbornly prints a C instead of a G.  If you have the time and inclination, perhaps you could post an example where all three parts print correctly...?

Thanks again!

-Russ

On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 2:53 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
user3871075 <address@hidden> writes:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I think I'm following the documentation faithfully, but I can't get
> quoteDuring to work in combination with transposition.  The various threads
> I've found via Google haven't helped.  I saw one fairly old bug report
> along these lines marked as fixed that had to do with midi, but I don't
> care about midi output, and regardless it wasn't clear to me whether / how
> it impacted typeset output.
>
> Anyway, my use-case is I have a trumpet part that I want to quote into the
> clarinet part.  Then I want to transpose the clarinet part to alto sax.
> Per suggestions in the lilypond documentation I have all of my raw music
> transposed into C so that it's easier to combine and then I transpose it to
> the correct per-instrument notes in the score.
>
> See below for example lilypond source.  The quoted trumpet note is not
> getting transposed in either the clarinet or the alto sax part regardless
> of whether I insert a (what I think should be unnecessary) \tranposition c'
> into the score as was discussed in one thread I found.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> -Russ
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> trumpetNotes = \transpose c bes \relative c'' {
>   \transposition bes

This is inconsistent, and thus likely to lead to followup problems.
\transposition bes declares the relation between printed notes and
sounded notes to be c' to bes yet you use \transpose c bes to make the
relation between printed notes and sounded notes c' to c'.

> \addQuote "trumpet" \trumpetNotes

Consequently, the quote is unusable.  There are basically two fixes for
making trumpetNotes self-consistent: don't use \transposition, or don't
use \transpose.  Of course you can also fix this by writing

\addQuote "trumpet" \transpose bes c \trumpetNotes

but that seems really backwards.

Once your quotes are internally consistent, you should find using them
reasonably straightforward.  If you are using them in a passage for
transposing instrument, \transposition needs to be correct in that
passage in order to make sure that LilyPond knows how to convert
sounding pitch to printing pitch.

--
David Kastrup