Re: Acciaccatura slurs

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Acciaccatura slurs
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 17:13:36 +0200

> Hi Harm,
>
> Well, are the glyphs that lilypond automatically puts in for acciaccaturas
> slurs or ties? I am quite confused. I thought they were slurs. The manual
> suggests to my way of reading that they are slurs, and the slur up and down
> functions work on them. But I just don’t know.

\acciaccatura uses Slur, ofcourse!

But I think it does not make any sense to write a slur between equal notes.
As a player I'd always read the second example as a Tie.

{ c''1~ c'' }
{ c''1( c'') }

> Also, for my score I have customised flared ties throughout globally that
> match the contemporary manuscript I am setting, but I need distinctly curved
> slurs for grace notes, so I can’t really use the ties to look like slurs.

One can deal with it:

startGraceMusic =  {
  \temporary \override Tie.stencil = #ly:tie::print
}

stopGraceMusic =  {
  \revert Tie.stencil
}
\relative c'' {
  \override Tie.stencil =
  #(lambda (grob) (grob-interpret-markup grob "      whatever"))
  c1~ c
  \set tieWaitForNote = ##t
  \grace { g8~ cis_~ }
  <g cis ees>4 s2.
  c1~ c
}

So the main question remains, what's meant? Really a Slur or a Tie?

Default-Tie looks as I would think it should.
Slurs may be far more difficult to adjust, I see no other way than
going for the control-points, directly or via
shape/shapeII/some-custom-function.

Cheers,
  Harm