Re: Acciaccatura slurs

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Acciaccatura slurs
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 10:22:22 +1000

Hi Harm,

Thank you always! The suggestion about using ties in the acciaccatura, and temporarily suspending the custom ties in the grace music perfectly solves the notation problem I am dealing with. Most appreciated.

As to musical questions about the context here, the instrument is piano, and I agree that slurring all the notes in an acciaccatura set is non standard and likely to be confusing. However, I am setting a major work for piano (150 pages of very, very complexly textured music) by a colleague who is a composer of the New Complexity School, and I attempting to make the strongest possible effort to set the music as per the handwritten manuscript of the composer, according to his wishes, in which he insists on certain notational idiosyncrasies which are not really Common Practice Era engraving rules. So, I do my best - but the side effect is that I end up with lots of seemingly odd questions on the list!

Andrew