Re: Acciaccatura slurs

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Acciaccatura slurs
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:56:32 +0200

Am 09.08.2015 um 17:13 schrieb Thomas Morley:
Hi Harm,

Well, are the glyphs that lilypond automatically puts in for acciaccaturas
slurs or ties? I am quite confused. I thought they were slurs. The manual
suggests to my way of reading that they are slurs, and the slur up and down
functions work on them. But I just don’t know.
\acciaccatura uses Slur, ofcourse!

But I think it does not make any sense to write a slur between equal notes.
As a player I'd always read the second example as a Tie.

1. It depends on instrument and style.
2. What about
{ c4( c) c( d) | e( d) c2 }
or
{ c4( c c c) }
?

A slur definitely is semantically different from a tie, so it’s important to keep them apart. Though certainly there are cases where it’s impossible to tell. In Andrew’s first example it’s unlikely that the cis is supposed to be struck twice (even more now we know that it’s piano music) so I suppose a tie is the way to go.

Yours, Simon