Re: Making overlapping grace notes

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Making overlapping grace notes
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 20:48:30 +1000

Hi Maite,

Good suggestion. This is in fact exactly what I have been doing until now -
including using the terrific slash function, thanks Ponderers!. But for some
reason in my massively complex score which depends heavily on proportional
notation, the beaming in this bar, at least under 2.19.25, goes askew, with the
last note coming before the second last note. I think it would be difficult to
post this issue to the list as there is no sensible minimal example I can
generate that makes it happen, and it is inappropriate to post several thousand
lines of code. [A standalone extract does not show the problem.]

Now I have been doing all sorts of non-standard, half-baked hacks to get grace
notes as I require them, and eventually ran into so many difficulties that I
decided to rework the lot. In a communication to me Mr Kastrup pointed out the
foolishness of trying to do an ‘end-run’ around lilypond to get things like
this working. I must say this is very wise advice indeed, and I have since
returned to a much more straight and orthodox use of grace notes in the score,
and stopped using all the fake ‘little notes’ and so on. In fact, everything
looks much more smooth and beautiful now.

So now that I am back into using proper lilypond grace notes, I hit this issue.
Will continue to investigate.

Thanks!

Andrew