Re: Text spanner text in the middle

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Text spanner text in the middle
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 14:51:48 +0200

Am 14.08.2015 um 13:11 schrieb Malte Meyn:

Am 14.08.2015 um 12:32 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
Just re my own suggestion of text spanners with text in the middle, although the present need is for a repeat indication, I am well aware that this is poor design, since a textual mark does not indicate a repeat structure to lilypond, so it is architecturally incorrect, which would be grounds for rejecting such a request for enhancement. But apart from repeats, I have many uses for text centred in spanners, where the semantics are perfectly OK.

One could go even further and have text spanners with not only two or, with centered text, three but an arbitrary number of texts evenly distributed over the length of the spanner.
+1

\override TextSpanner.texts = #("poco" "a" "poco" "stringendo")

And then one could also add the possibility to specify where a dashed lines/hyphens should be.

\override TextSpanner.texts = #("poco" "a" "poco" "strin" "gen" "do")
\override TextSpanner.hyphens = #(#f #f #f #t #t)
I’d suggest
\override TextSpanner.spread-text = { al -- lar -- gan -- do }
Your example should probably be displayed along the lines of either
‘po - - co _ _ a _ _ po - - co _ _ strin - - gen - - do’
or even
‘po - - co - - a - - po - - co - - strin - - gen - - do’.

Same for DynamicLineSpanners (poco a poco crescendo).

Maybe we can think a bit about the details and then have a feature request (for centered text or for more texts or both).
Good idea.
Yours, Simon