Re: \transpose and quoting

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: \transpose and quoting
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 08:40:11 -0700

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 04:09:37PM +0100, Wols Lists wrote:
> On 15/08/15 15:55, Simon Albrecht wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I’m looking for a way to quote another voice, but in a different octave.
> > My thinking was: ‘\quoteDuring is a music function, so it returns music,
> > so I can wrap it into \transpose c c, {} and all’s fine.’ However,
> > \transpose has no effect.
> > Using \transposition doesn’t seem quite the right way, or is it?
> >
> > TIA for any help, Simon
> >
> \transpose is a funny beast ...
>
> Don't quote me on this, I use it all the time but I don't really
> understand it, but it's something like transpose takes notes, and
> outputs music. So you can't feed music in, it doesn't understand it.
>
> As I said, I don't understand it myself, but it's something along those
> lines. So transposition could well be the right way.

\transposition is relevant but maybe not the way you are thinking.
(See my answer to this thread.)

\quoteDuring and cueDuring do use \transposition

oboeNotes = { }

\addQuote qoboe \transpose c c, \oboeNotes

clarinetNotes = {
  \transposition bes
  \quoteDuring qoboe s1 %will quote the oboe an octave lower
                        % correctly transposed

Paul