Re: bug in german manual

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: bug in german manual
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 15:26:56 +0200

Am 18.08.2015 um 09:01 schrieb Blöchl Bernhard:
Thanks for clarifying my confusion. As long as I used lilypond I always
used \tuplet and argue that I did not even know that \times was/is a
possible alternative.

\time and \times are very close and so - I think - dangerous and
error-prone.

I think the \times command should be removed completely from lilypond as soon as possible (2.19.xx/2.20.0) for the following reasons: (1) The two commands \times and \tuplet do the same with different syntax => confusion (especially for new users who copy old code which works in new versions without using convert-ly but doesn’t use the \tuplet function mentioned in the LM and NR). (2) \tuplet has a feature that \times doesn’t have (easily setting tupletSpannerDuration) but not the other way round, so using \times has no advantage => \times won’t be missed. (3) As Berndhard said ‘time’ and ‘times’ are indeed very similar words and ‘tuplet’ describes the functionality better.