Re: bug in german manual

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: bug in german manual
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 15:04:36 +0100

On 18/08/15 14:56, David Kastrup wrote:
> Malte Meyn <address@hidden> writes:

>> > I think the \times command should be removed completely from lilypond
>> > as soon as possible (2.19.xx/2.20.0) for the following reasons:
>> > (1) The two commands \times and \tuplet do the same with different
>> > syntax => confusion (especially for new users who copy old code which
>> > works in new versions without using convert-ly but doesn’t use the
>> > \tuplet function mentioned in the LM and NR).
>> > (2) \tuplet has a feature that \times doesn’t have (easily setting
>> > tupletSpannerDuration) but not the other way round, so using \times
>> > has no advantage => \times won’t be missed.
>> > (3) As Berndhard said ‘time’ and ‘times’ are indeed very similar words
>> > and ‘tuplet’ describes the functionality better.

> That's putting-cart-before-horse territory.

And as an English-speaker, I'd also disagree.

(1) I'm an *old* user who would get thoroughly confused. I've used lily
since about 2.4, and never used tuplet.

(2) Thanks for pointing this out though, I could have done with it
before and will probably use it :-)

(3) Did I say I was an ENGLISH speaker? Looking it up in online
dictionaries, it seems your usage is typical AMERICAN, but to me,
"tuplet" is the *opposite* of triplet, complementary and mutually
exclusive. A tuplet is "two notes played in the time of three" (What
American usage calls a duplet, a word I can't ever remember meeting).

Cheers,
Wol