Re: Lining up notes in staves with different rhythms and time signatures

From: Blöchl Bernhard
Subject: Re: Lining up notes in staves with different rhythms and time signatures
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 22:46:40 +0200

That are the interesting cases where to outsmart the optimised depiction of lilypond. Usually not an easy task!

First thee is an error, as
 d8 d4. a16 c8. |
does not sum up to 2/4. Nay be that line should read
| e8 g a g | e c4. | d8 d4. | a8 c4.
??

Beside any solution (I do not have any ready) there is some basic math fr clarification needed. You have \time 2/4 and \time 6/8. A common time for to give an equal length of complete bars/measures is 12/8 or a multiple of. 2/4 = 4/8, into 12/8 you can get 3 of. And for 6/8 you can get two of. Hopefully you might get equal length?

In the fist motive you have 8 bars 6/8, makes 48 eighths and an eight partial. In the second motive you have 9 bars (if my assumption is correct) of 2/4, makes 18/4 or 36 eighths. So, the problem of different lengths is obvious by simple math.

There the question arises, how 48 and 36 eighths should line up? Do you simply want equal length, or should the line with 36 eighths be shorter than that with 48 to show the time difference ...??

Regards