Re: Lining up notes in staves with different rhythms and time signatures

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Lining up notes in staves with different rhythms and time signatures
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 00:06:18 +0200

Am 20.08.2015 um 20:07 schrieb Jack Taylor:

I have managed to make the time signatures for each song independent, but
I'm having problems making the notes line up (and with stopping the music
from running off the page). I've dumped my current code at PasteBin
<http://pastebin.com/Z6kmy6yt>  if you want to inspect it (it's not very long).

Probably the easiest way to achieve something very similar to the image you posted is to scale the durations of the second staff (f. e. if there is a “e4. r4” in the upper staff and a “e4.” in the lower, scale it to “e4.*5/3”) and set beams and bar lines manually (turn the automatic behaviour off with \cadenzaOn).

Here is a solution (I also moved the Metronome_mark_engraver from Score to Staff to be able to print to a tempo on each staff):

\version "2.18.2"

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \remove "Timing_translator"
    \remove "Default_bar_line_engraver"
    \remove "Metronome_mark_engraver" % this and
  }
  \context {
    \Staff
    \consists "Timing_translator"
    \consists "Default_bar_line_engraver"
    \consists "Metronome_mark_engraver" % this are for the two \tempos

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \with {
      instrumentName = "a)"
    } \relative c'' {
      \time 6/8
      \tempo "Tempo Giusto"
      \partial 8 g8 |
      c4 b8 d4 a8 |
      g4. r4 g'8 |
      g4 d8 g4 f8 |
      e4. r4 c8 |
      g'4 a8 g4 e8 |
      c4. r4 e8 |
      d4 b8 c4 a8 |
      g4. r4
    }
    \addlyrics  {
      Jó | es -- tét bar -- na | lány    Mi | lö -- le te -- ge | det?
      | Ta -- | lán a va -- cso -- | rád    Nem | i -- gen jól e -- | sett
    }
    \new Staff \with {
      instrumentName =  "b)"
      \omit TimeSignature % don’t print it
    } \relative c'' {
      \tempo "Rubato"
      \cadenzaOn % don’t do barchecks, barlines, etc. automatically
      % now scale durations so that they fit to the other voice
      % you have to set manual beams [ ]
      g8[ c8*2 d8 c8*2] \bar "|"
      a8 g4.*5/3 \bar "|"
      e'8[ g8*2 d8 e8*2] \bar "|"
      g8 e4.*5/3 \bar "|"
      e8[ g8*2 a8 g8*2] \bar "|"
      e8 c4.*5/3 \bar "|"
      d8 d4.*2/3
      a16*2 c8.*4/3 \bar "|"
      a8 g4.*5/3 \bar "|"
    }
    \addlyrics {
      Vi -- rá -- gim, vi -- rá -- gim Gyö -- nyö -- rü vi -- rá -- gim
      föd -- re bo -- re ja tok, En -- gem si -- ras -- sa tok