Re: question about putting music expressions in sequence

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: question about putting music expressions in sequence
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 15:56:34 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Selinger" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2015 3:32 PM

Hello,

I have a question about using lyrics with automatic syllable
durations, when putting music expressions in sequence.

The Learning Manual states: "Putting a group of music expressions
(e.g. notes) in braces means that they are in sequence (i.e. each one
follows the previous one). The result is another music expression".

I have a piece consistsing of several verses that must be engraved
individually (each verse has a different melody and accompaniment).
I'd like to arrange the input file so that the data is grouped by
verse (rather than by voice). I was able to make this work using
sequencing like this (see test1.pdf):

 \version "2.18.2"

 {
   % First verse
   <<
     \new Voice = "up" \relative c' { e f g a }
     \new Lyrics = "lyrics" \lyricmode { Words to first verse }
     \new Voice = "down" \relative c' { c d e f }

   % Seconds verse
   <<
     \context Voice = "up" \relative c' { f g a b }
     \context Lyrics = "lyrics" \lyricmode { Words to next verse }
     \context Voice = "down" \relative c' { d e f g }

 }

However, this only works as long as I enter manual syllable
durations. If I try to use automatic syllable durations, everything
breaks (see test2.pdf):

 \version "2.18.2"

 {
   % First verse
   <<
     \new Voice = "up" \relative c' { e f g a }
     \new Lyrics = "lyrics" \lyricsto "up" { Words to first verse }
     \new Voice = "down" \relative c' { c d e f }

   % Seconds verse
   <<
     \context Voice = "up" \relative c' { f g a b }
     \context Lyrics = "lyrics" \lyricsto "up" { Words to next verse }
     \context Voice = "down" \relative c' { d e f g }

 }

Not only does the second set of lyrics generate an error message, but
also the notes to the second verse are not typeset at all, and an
extra (empty) pair of staves is generated.

Is there a way to make this work? (I realize that I could put all the
information into variables, and rearrange the expression to be grouped
by voice rather than verse. However, I am looking for a way to make
the above grouping work).

It looks to me that you have posted the same example twice, both of which work as planned, and neither of which provides the output you've attached. Please check.

--
Phil Holmes