Re: question about putting music expressions in sequence

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: question about putting music expressions in sequence
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 17:17:31 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> It looks to me that you have posted the same example twice, both of
> which work as planned, and neither of which provides the output you've
> attached. Please check.

Well, let's see:

First version:

>>      \new Lyrics = "lyrics" \lyricmode { Words to first verse }
[...]
>>      \context Lyrics = "lyrics" \lyricmode { Words to next verse }

Second version:

>>      \new Lyrics = "lyrics" \lyricsto "up" { Words to first verse }
[...]
>>      \context Lyrics = "lyrics" \lyricsto "up" { Words to next verse }

Looks different to me.  Also, either version:

>> \version "2.18.2"

And indeed, version 2.18.2 falls flat rather uglily on the second
version while current LilyPond versions have no problem with it.

This is issue 2010
<URL:https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2010>, fixed in
version 2.19.16 but likely not in a manner where this example would
work.  I suspect this example would require the fix from issue 4419
<URL:https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=4419> in order
not to be stopped short, meaning a version of LilyPond of 2.19.23 or
later.

>> Is there a way to make this work? (I realize that I could put all the
>> information into variables, and rearrange the expression to be
>> grouped by voice rather than verse. However, I am looking for a way
>> to make the above grouping work).

Upgrade.  The respective fixes are in C++ code so there is no way you
can just patch up some parts of LilyPond.

--
David Kastrup