Re: vertical spacing of rests

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: vertical spacing of rests
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 16:08:50 +0100

Michael Gerdau wrote Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:27 PM

>> Yes, first available in 2.19.15, courtesy of Keith O'Hara.
>> Yet to be documented in the NR, I believe.
>
> I have used Peter's example code and tried various parameter to
> voiced-position (see attached). It is my impression that the odd
> parameters show an...odd (pun intended) behaviour:
> - some odd parameter show additional horizontal lines
> - the vertical spacing is not symmetric up/down for odd numbers
>
> W/o a documentation I can't judge whether that's intended, but it
> is at least unexpected.

Yes, odd numbers appear strange with a standard staff.
But then, so does a'2\rest.

There was a long discussion about this, see

The thing to remember is that not all music is set on a 5-line
staff with equal spacing.  So the odd numbers may have a use
after all.

Trevor