Re-use \chordmode for strumming patterns

From: Joel Ebel
Subject: Re-use \chordmode for strumming patterns
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 11:10:00 -0400

Hi. I'm curious if there's a way to re-use a variable containing
chords entered in \chordmode to create strumming patterns with
Pitch_squash_engraver and \improvisationOn. I like only having to
enter the chords once, so if I change something, I only need to do it
in one place, and I also would like the strumming patterns in the midi
output. But the issue is that handing multiple notes to the
Pitch_squash_engraver gives it a double note-head. Is there a way to
maybe extract the root of the chord, or get a single head from the
Pitch_squash_engraver?

Thanks!
Joel

Example: