Re: Repeats in \parallelMusic

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Repeats in \parallelMusic
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:58:15 +0100

On Tue, 2015-08-25 at 18:34 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> David Sumbler <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Is there a way of using "\repeat volta 2" and similar when using
> > the \parallelMusic command?  The following does not work:
> >

> > \version "2.18.0"
> >
> > \parallelMusic #'(Vone Vtwo) {
> > %bar 1
> >     \repeat volta 2 { d''1 |
> >     \repeat volta 2 { f'1 |
> > %bar 2
> >     c''1 } |
> >     e'1 } |
> > }
> >
> > \score { <<
> >     \new Staff { \Vone }
> >     \new Staff { \Vtwo }
> >     >> }
> >

> > I have tried repositioning the braces but none of my experiments so far
> > have produced the desired result.
>
> It's simpler than you think it is.  You only need the structure to
> descend into once.
>
> Lilypond music sheet attachment (repar.ly)
> \version "2.18.0"
>
> \parallelMusic #'(Vone Vtwo) {
> %bar 1
>     \repeat volta 2 { d''1 |
>                        f'1 |
> %bar 2
>                       c''1 |
>                       e'1  |
>     } g''1 | c''1 |
> }
>
> \score { <<
>     \new Staff { \Vone }
>     \new Staff { \Vtwo }
>     >> }

Thank you very much for that.  I see that the repeat structure is acting
at a higher level, so to speak, than the parallelMusic layout.

This solution works fine for the piece I am currently setting.  However,
it raises a question for which I may some day need an answer: is it
possible to have repeats starting and ending within a bar when using
\parallelMusic?

Here is a modified version of the above snippet:

\version "2.18.0"

\parallelMusic #'(Vone Vtwo) {
%bar 1
    \repeat volta 2 {
        d''2 d'' |
        f'2 f' |
%bar 2
        c''2 c'' |
        e'2 e' |
    }
%bar 3
    g''1 |
    c''1 |
}

\score { <<
    \new Staff { \Vone }
    \new Staff { \Vtwo }
    >> }

That, of course, works fine.

But suppose that the repeat should start in the middle of bar 1 and end
in the middle of bar 2.  This is easily done when setting the parts
separately; but can it be done within a \parallelMusic structure?  On
the face of it, the answer would seem to be "no".

Or is it?

David