Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 17:54:26 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Andrew Bernard" <address@hidden>
Cc: "LilyPond User Group" <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 4:23 PM

Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> writes:

<address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden> wrote:

1€ question for the young : whom does EWD stand for, and did he bring
to computer science?

Writing by hand with a fountain pen. Look it up folks!

Seriously?  My dad did all of his Theoretical Physics stuff including
the scripts by fountain pen for probably more than 4 decades.  And he is
4 years younger than Dijkstra (if you digged up the latter).  He still
does for his own work, though he switched to LaTeX for scripts and
articles a few decades ago.  I don't know how many bottles of ink and
blotter rolls he may have used up over the years...

--
David Kastrup

FWIW I did all my physics lecture notes for my BSc with a Rotring pen.

--
Phil Holmes