Re: bowing change in a long trill

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: bowing change in a long trill
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 14:45:26 +0200

Am 28.08.2015 um 13:24 schrieb B~M:
Dear Rob thanks so much for your help and all the others that helped with my
little questions. Thanks also for pointing out potential copyright issues.
On this point, perhaps you can educate me. I've transposed several works Hindemith
wrote for Violin to Viola (studies mostly). Is that a breach of copyright ?
Further, if I take a piece like the Milhaud I posted and I edit it with fingerings and
minor changes etc, is that also a breach ? I guess these are complex questions
for lawyers.
As far as I can see, it’s not really so complicated, at least within the EU and as long as no more complicated law constructs are involved. There is some good overview information on imslp.org.
But with Hindemith and Milhaud you can be almost certain that their works are under copyright fairly everywhere, and that also means that you may not make arrangements (unless they remain entirely private) without permission from the respective copyright owner. At least in the EU, this is also fairly independent of what may be printed on the sheet music: such constructs as ‘Copyright renewed…’ are valid in the USA, but not in the EU.

I don’t give any guarantee on the reliability of this information, but I’ve read the respective German law myself (which is equivalent to that of any EU member, IIUC) and unless there are some really foul hidden loopholes, there’s only these two rules:
– copyright on the actual content is until the 70th year after the author’s death is over. E.g. with Milhaud (who died in 1974), his works will all enter public domain in the EU on 1st January, 2045. Note that if more than one author has been involved (e.g. lyricist), the latest of these dates is relevant.
– scholarly editions as well as first editions are under copyright for 25 years after publication.
– There’s some uncertainty as to whether there is a 40-year term during which the _layout_ of the score is protected under copyright. For what I know, this is not the case, but there are different opinions (so that’s where a lawyer could help :-))

HTH, Simon

In any case I best be careful with this issues.

Paul