Re: interesting implementation detail of \partcombine

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: interesting implementation detail of \partcombine
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 18:13:41 +0000 (UTC)

Mike Solomon <mike <at> mikesolomon.org> writes:

> I just realized that when one uses spacer rests instead of full-measure
rests in a voice that is being part combined, if there are full-measure rests
in the other voice, those rests will be shifted up.Not a biggie, but perhaps
it should be documented if it is intended behavior or fixed to work like full-
measure rests if intended behavior.  What do people think?

> foo = {
>   R1 |
>   R1 |
>   a''1 |
> }
>
> bar = {
>   s1 |
>   s1 |
>   f''1 |
> }
>
> \new Staff \new \Voice \partcombine \foo \bar

Formerly, they were merged, but into a spacer or rest depending on
which came first in the input file
http://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/261/

I argued that printing the rest to indicate its voice was the best
default choice because preserved the most information.
The 'bar' part above probably has some reason for using invisible rests,
so we keep it separate by default;  we can \partCombineUnisono to merge.