Re: Lyric in popular score

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Lyric in popular score
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 09:59:06 -0700 (MST)

On 9/2/2015 7:46 AM, Marcos Press [via Lilypond] wrote:
I'm not sure you're getting this right.  Singers sing words to the notes they have.  When there are notes with no words, what is the singer supposed to do?  i.e. when you have given the singer a skip, what do they sing?

Sure I understand. I think ;)

I'm supposing that you are not properly separating the notes for the singers from the notes for the accompaniment.

The thing is, the score is a single system with a musical intro and the melody for the singer. Not seperated. And not an accompaniment.

Simon's solution with the repeated skip make the trick.
I'm not sure if it's the correct way, but it works.
The dificult part is to calculate how many notes do I have to skip.

For the first mail I prepare a pic for showing and I forgot to attache it.
Here goes.

This helps a lot to see what you are trying to do. If I were transcribing this, instead of using \skip to get the lyrics to the right place, I would do this:
  1.  Create two music expressions, one for the intro and one for the vocal part, and insert them in serial fashion in the same Staff context.
  2.  Put the Lyrics context in parallel with the staff, but assigned specifically to the vocal part like this:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

introMusic = \relative c' {
  | r8 ees \tuplet 3/2 { d16 ees d } c8
  | f4. f16 aes
  | c8 c ~ c16 c bes c
  | aes8 g4 ees8
  | d8 c \tuplet 3/2 { c d ees }
  | g8 f ~ f8. f16
  | f8 b, ~ b16 c d b
  | c2 ~
  | c2 ~
  | c4.
}

vocalMusic = \relative c'' {
    g8
  | c8 c16 c c8 c
  | c8 aes4.
  % etc.
}

vocalLyrics = \lyricmode {
  Cha -- ma -- va -- se Car -- men -- ci -- ta
  % etc.
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff {
      \clef treble
      \time 2/4
      \key ees \major
      \introMusic
      \new Voice = "soloist" \vocalMusic
    }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "soloist" \vocalLyrics

  \layout {}
}

FWIW,
Abraham