Re: Breath mark default size and position

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Breath mark default size and position
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2015 00:15:23 +0200

Am 05.09.2015 um 13:11 schrieb MarcM:
The default Lilypond breath mark is rather anaemic and is placed on the
top
staff line rather than where I normally see it in commercial scores, which
is above the staff (see attached example).
Like Nick i've always seen the breath mark as a comma and higher above the
staff.

There are wonderful facilities to achieve that:
%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.25"

{
  \override BreathingSign.outside-staff-priority = 1
  \override BreathingSign.stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
  \override BreathingSign.text = ","
  \override BreathingSign.font-size = 3
  c'' \breathe c''
}

BreathingSign uses the outside-staff-interface <http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/breathingsign>, so you can easily set outside-staff-priority; and the text stencil is explained in <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/modifying-stencils>.

I’m thrilled myself how easy and manageable this is – big thanks to those who made it possible :-)

The music from 1900 i am typesetting is using a comma as well.

Personally I must say: I positively adore the Feta BreathingSign used in LilyPond for its elegance and would never want to exchange it. But I can confirm e.g. from <http://imslp.org/wiki/M%C3%B6rike-Chorliederbuch,_Op.19_(Distler,_Hugo)> that the comma-like appearance is common.
Wikipedia shows it as a comma too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breath_mark

I hardly think that a Wikipedia entrance referring to someone at University of Virginia is a valuable reference.

Yours, Simon