Re: Style question for bar checks

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Style question for bar checks
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2015 19:00:43 +0200

Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> this is a question of ly code style:
> Would you recommend putting the bar check always after the note or in
> some circumstances also after an including brace?
>
> Background: In many cases it is wrong to put a bar check outside braces
> because it is then outside the music expression and appears as its own
> music expression. Like:
>
>   \alternative {
>     { a2 b } |  % wrong
>     { a2 a } |  % wrong
>   }
>
> This makes me think one should perhaps always write `a | }`
> instead of `a } |` – but how about this case?
>
>   a2 \tuplet 3/2 { a4 a a } |
>
> Would anyone prefer this?
>
>   a2 \tuplet 3/2 { a4 a a | }

You are cheating with your question because you are omitting relevant
context.  If this is part of

   \alternative { a2 \tuplet 3/2 { a4 a a | } }

then you are obviously asking for trouble by moving | outside.  As a
rule of thumb, if the final | would be the first to occur at its level
at all, I lean towards moving it outside.

--
David Kastrup