Re: Development or stable version?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Development or stable version?
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 16:38:49 +0200

Am 10.09.2015 um 16:16 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
> Hi David,
>
> Welcome to the bleeding edge!  =)
>
> As someone who only uses the “latest” development version(s), and that for
> mission-critical daily composition and engraving (i.e., my career), I can say
> that the latest “unstable” version is almost always good to go.
>
> That being said, I do recommend keeping your most recent “stable unstable”
> version around at all times, in case you run into a show-stopper bug. A
> couple of times in the past five years or so, I had to stay with a version 1
> or 2 behind the absolute latest, in order to get my scores out the door.
> Right now, for example, I have .26 (which, so far, I’m using without issue)
> and .25 on hand.

'unstable' is something completely different when talking about a CLI
compiler than with a GUI program that can crash under you with unsaved
files open.
I think what is most 'unstable' with the development versions is the
language. That is, if you are using any new stuff you have to expect
that the syntax changes. While this is not much of a problem for most
users (thanks to convert-ly) it is something to consider when you
provide some kind of 'public' service, or when you develop an editing
program (for example Frescobaldi's syntax knowledge usually refers to
the latest stable version - it wouldn't really be appropriate to chase
behind unstable syntax changes).

I'm also nearly exclusively using development versions. Usually I have a
'fairly recent' binary around and otherwise use a self-compiled version
from the latest git repository.

Urs