Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 17:34:55 +0200

Seems I have to chime in instead of preparing a merely statistical poll ...

42, pianist, musicologist (with half a decade's worth intermezzo of
electronic music. Unfortunately that was just before my
Lilypond/programming time, I already had some ideas to try generating
LilyPond input from PureData improvisations ....).

I'm using LilyPond to typeset
- transpositions from songs I have to play and that are too complex to
transpose from sight
- examples and snippets for texts
- scholarly editions, which is what I'm also working for on a more
general level.

Unfortunately I don't recall when I first worked with LilyPond and why I
started looking at it. One reason was definitely that I was frustrated
with Finale (2001)'s habit of breaking things after the fact. Probably
the idea of programmatic access also appealed to me already then.

Urs