Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages

From: Josh Monks
Subject: Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 18:13:13 +0000

I'm 19 years old and a student of Music at the University of Birmingham.

I started to dabble in Lilypond a few years ago when it piqued my interest. Nowadays I use it for engraving composition work and musical examples for essays and other written work. I find Lilypond really useful because I can do my work at home while most other students have to stay in the music computer cluster slaving away in Sibelius well into the evening!

At the moment I'm arranging some string quartet music for a wedding. I am finding Frescobaldi immensely helpful as it makes my workflow so much quicker and keeps all the relevant files organised and easily accessible.

The two things I love about Lilypond the most are the beautiful output it produces and the great power and flexibility provided by text input.

My thanks to the Lilypond community and everyone who continues to make it such a brilliant tool for musicians.

Josh

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 18:43 Pierre-Luc Gauthier <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> This thread makes me wonder: what's the average age of LilyPond users

I'm ~30 years age.

Background:
At first using Music Sculptor(for about two years), then Note
Worthy(For about 2 years), then Finale(for about 6 years) and then a
rather abrupt transition(not being a programmer at all) to the
Lilypond software that I do now use regularly and have been for about
4 years.

Purpose:
I mostly do song arrangements for rock bands and "house bands" and few
orchestral arrangements.

My tool usage in a nutshell:
Everything I do is centered around the Git revision control system
using hooks, submodules, branches and what not. On top of that mr
(http://myrepos.branchable.com/), gitolite, Vim, Frescobaldi, shell
scripts, make files (They give me such a hard time!), LaTeX automated
"booklets" for musicians, Automated audio and midi files generation (I
am hoping to have automated audio sections (divided by rehearsal \mark
or something) to be outputted. Thanks to Urs for the ScholarLy
annotation system that I now use systematically: (everything seems to
be ready for automated LaTeX reports for every project :-) ). I also
am looking for automated small QR codes that would be generated on the
"fly" and displayed as rehearsal marks to link directly to the right
audio file on the web for practice purposes. All of that is hosted
using linodes services as a central for git repositories, build
machines, public hosting.

I can output charts and conductor scores, every thing is fine for me.

Greetings to you all
(It's my first post on this mailing list)
--
Pierre-Luc Gauthier