Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 12:30:32 -0400

I’m in my early 40s, and started using LilyPond in early 2011.  I love
LilyPond’s flexibility and extensibility which lets me create sheet music in
alternative notation systems that have a “chromatic staff” – especially
“Clairnote”[1].  LilyPond is in a league of its own for this kind of extension
and customization, and she handles it like a champ.

By working on extending LilyPond I’ve learned a lot of Scheme.  Before I had
basically only used javascript.  (I’m not a professional programmer.)  I try to
contribute back where and when I can.

I play guitar, trumpet, a little piano, and I sing.  I have mostly used
LilyPond for arranging fiddle tunes and similar pieces for string bands / dance
bands that I’ve played in.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions to LilyPond!

-Paul

[1] Clairnote: http://clairnote.org
See also the Music Notation Project: http://musicnotation.org