Re: Rendering cropped SVG

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Rendering cropped SVG
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 21:02:20 -0500

Quoting address@hidden (address@hidden):
> I forgot: My file is just the minimum to test if Lilypond can do what I want
> it to do.
>
> \pointAndClickOff
>
> \relative {
>   c' d e f g f e d
>   c' d e f a a b d
>   c' d e f a a b d
> }
>
> \version "2.18.2"

I typeset music fragments for insertion into LuaLaTeX files, so I
generate .pdf files and then crop them. My .ly source is built up from
quite a few includes, and processed with bash functions (on Debian)
but I've processed this minimal fragment with the same utilities:

\version "2.18.2"
\relative {
  c' d e f g f e d
  c' d e f a a b d
  c' d e f a a b d
}
\header { tagline = ##f }
\paper { indent = 0 \mm }

$ lilypond -dno-point-and-click -drelative-includes --include="$HOME/LilyLib"
foo.ly

$ pdfcrop --margins 1 foo.pdf bar.pdf

$ pdf2svg bar.pdf foo.svg

pdfcrop is from texlive in Debian's texlive-extra-utils
pdf2svg homepage is at http://www.cityinthesky.co.uk/pdf2svg.html

Filesizes:

    141 foo.ly
  18078 foo.pdf
  17158 bar.pdf
  39154 foo.svg

I checked the SVG with inkscape and it looks ok, as does the PDF.

I also ran your PNG command line:

   7454 foo.png

but I haven't looked at why the output has over a bar's width of
whitespace at the right side. I don't use PNGs anyway because they're
blurry, whereas PDFs (and the SVGs) remain crisp whatever the size.

I then added \break at the midpoint of the notes and reran everything.
The SVG is complete, and it also happens to fix the PNG.

pdfcrop handles multiple pages; pdf2svg has to process a page at a time.

Cheers,
David.