Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages

From: Ralph Palmer
Subject: Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 07:48:21 -0400

On 2015-08-26 22:10, Urs Liska wrote:
This thread makes me wonder: what's the average age of LilyPond users
>and
>developers?
Remind me in two weeks and I'll start a poll on Scores of Beauty

Greetings -

Age: 67

Occupation: Retired. I worked for many years (~25) in wood or as a carpenter; furniture, construction, maintenance carpenter. Then for ~15 years as an Energy Manager.

Music: I've played trombone, guitar, tabla, fiddle/violin (N.E. contradance music/classical), and viola (N.E. contradance music/classical).

I started with Noteworthy Composer, then added ABC. Noteworthy Composer got too expensive, so I switched to LilyPond. With Lilypond, I started out on Linux with straight text entry through emacs. I started having trouble getting all the pieces to cooperate with ABC on Windows (switched from Linux in there somewhere), so I moved to LilyPond exclusively. ABC was nice because there are a *lot* of traditional tunes transcribed with ABC. Started using Frescobaldi when I started having trouble with emacs on Windows, I think. I love Frescobaldi. I still use text entry. My most difficult project so far has been transcribing/transposing Bartok's violin duets down a fifth so they lie on the viola as they would on the violin, then down another octave so my cellist wife and I can play the duets. For personal use only for the next couple of years.

I'm grateful to the list for all the quick and thorough help the members have been over the years!

Ralph

--
Ralph Palmer
Brattleboro, VT