Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 15:04:48 -0500

Age: 44

Occupation: I teach arts and technology at New College, The University of Alabama.

Music: I’m a composer and performer. Most of my compositions use live electronics in some way, usually via Cycling ‘74 Max. These works often have little or no traditionally notated material for the performer. I first looked into Lilypond in 2005 or 2006, but didn’t begin using it for my work until 2010 when I read an article about it on createdigitalmusic.com. I started with Lilypond and the command line, then moved to Jedit and Elysium, and now I use Frescobaldi. I was initially attracted to Lilypond for creating tablature for banjo. No other notation program that I know of comes anywhere close to Lilypond’s ability to work with multiple tunings, for example. I’ve since begun using it for solo pieces and chamber music—work that involves more notation than my electronic pieces. I’ve made a few scores entirely with Lilypond. Most of the time, though, I create notated elements with Lilypond and then assemble them with Illustrator. My current work uses many aleatoric boxes filled with noteheads or rhythms or graphic elements. frameEngraver-bars-and-boxes.ily is my friend! And the Lilypond community has always been helpful.

Holland Hopson
"...a haunting, often mesmerizing album of old songs and new sounds." -- Michael Eck, Albany Times Union
"...beautifully performed original and traditional folk songs set against an electronic dreamworld." -- David Zicarelli, Cycling '74