Re: FreeBSD issues

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: FreeBSD issues
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 11:38:54 +0200

Levente <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 9:35 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Lev <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Hello all,
>> >

>> > I'm hacking lilypond to my FreeBSD system.
>> >
>> > Currently I have to following issues.
>> >
>> > 1. Guile2.x okay... I think it was asked several time. I use Guile2.x for
>> > other software (gEDA) and on FreeBSD v1.x and v2.x is mutually
>> > exclusive.
>>
>> For compiling stuff (namely guile-dev), it's exclusive on Ubuntu as
>> well.  But once compiled, you can keep executables linked with either
>> around.  With regard to executables, you can install both in parallel
>> and can access them as guile-2.0 (and just guile) and guile-1.8.
>>

> Unfortunately, this is not the case for FreeBSD; there are no separate
> development packages. It is all or nothing.
>
>> I've checked out the git version,
>>
>> The git version of what?
>>

> Git version of lilypond.
>
>> and I'm trying the guile-2 branch.
>>
>> The guile-2 branch of what?
>>

> To be precise, the dev/guilev2 branch of
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/lilypond.git.

Forget it, that one's old.  Rather use current master and configure with
an option enabling Guilev2 support.

> By the way... is there any intention to link to guile-2 in the future?

Not much of a way around that, is it?  Guilev1, as you noticed yourself,
is pretty much hanged out to dry.  However, Guilev2.0 does not really
care much to be an extension language (rather than a whole system of its
own) any more, and it sports rather lacklustre maintenance.  Guilev2.1
is exclusively the playground of Andy Wingo who does not apparently
communicate with anybody about the work he is doing.  Instead,
Guilev2.0, even though labelled "stable", is used for ongoing
development and incremental changes.

Moving to Guilev2 is complicated by nobody but myself working on the
Guilev2 migration of LilyPond, and I have been banned from posting on
the Guile developer list.

>> > 2. The configure script searches for makeinfo executable, which is
>> > installed in /usr/bin probable comes from the base system. However,
>> > this is an ancient version. It would be nice if the configure
>> > script would search for texi2any, which really comes from the port,
>> > which has the current version.
>>
>> Only the ancient version will work for now.
>>

> Actually, the ancient version is 4.8, and configure requires 4.11. So
> The current version (which is 6.0) works. Makeinfo is just a symlink
> to texi2any.

I was confusing this with texi2html: we need an old version of that
rather than the one included in Texinfo these days.

--
David Kastrup