Re: lilypond teaching material

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: lilypond teaching material
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 13:04:24 +0200

Gilles <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello.
>
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 11:49:04 +0200, BB wrote:
>> I just read
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/entering-input.html
>> (again). I find that is a good basis for such an introduction,
>
> IIRC, someone (among the most prominent current or past developers)
> once stated that this first example being compilable by lilypond had
> been a big mistake.

Well, I think it should specify a note duration for the first note.
Other than that, I find nothing wrong with it.

> Perhaps it was meant to show people that text input is not scary.
> But its simplicity is deceitful: no actual score is that simple; even
> a monophonic instrument part should not be encoded that way.

Hacking down some melody tends to be rather similar to that.  Many tunes
in abc format look pretty much like that and transfer reasonably well to
LilyPond input of that complexity.

--
David Kastrup