Re: Chords and what they mean

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Chords and what they mean
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:33:05 +0200

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>>> There are others who are more into the subject, but I may say:
>>> There is no ‘truth’. With chord names, there are so many different
>>> conventions and fiercely defended convictions that it’s impossible to define
>>> a single ‘standard’ naming scheme. (Edit: just like the NR says)
>>
>> Very true.
>> It's a mess, but LilyPond can handle it. ;)
>>

>>> Many things in the chords rendering may be overridden in LilyPond. In case
>>> you’re not aware yet, check out
>>> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/displaying-chords#customizing-chord-names>
>>> and perhaps the LSR <http://lsr.di.unimi.it>. If that doesn’t cover your
>>> wishes, you may come back with a code example, I’d suggest.
>>>
>>> HTH, Simon
>>
>> chrds =
>> \chordmode {
>>     \set chordNameExceptions =
>>       #(append
>>              powerChordExceptions
>>              ignatzekExceptions)
>>     c:1.4.5
>>     c:1.5
>>     \notemode {
>>     <c' f' g'>
>>     <c' g'>
>>     }
>> }
>>
>> <<
>>     \new Staff \chrds
>>     \new ChordNames \chrds
>>>>

>> If it's not sufficient you can set your own 'exceptions' for
>> chord-naming, see the links Simon provided.
>
> I think you are talking past each other.  Kaj complained about how
> LilyPond converts \chordmode input into notes, you explain how to change
> LilyPond's conversion of notes to markups in a ChordNames context.
>
> We could create an exception for c:5 (like we do for c:13 which drops
> the 11th step).  I think that's a reasonable suggestion on its surface
> and c:5 is not likely to be in much use exactly because it is equal to c
> on its own.  However, it would beg the question of how to interpret c:5+
> and c:5- then.  Those aren't redundant.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Obviously I still don't understand.

For me the following looks as wished for Staff and ChordName context:

chrds =
\chordmode {
    \set chordNameExceptions =
      #(append
             powerChordExceptions
             ignatzekExceptions)
    c:1.5
    c^3
}

<<
    \new Staff \chrds
    \new ChordNames \chrds

@Kaj
Could you provide an example to illustrade?

Cheers,
  Harm