Re: Chords and what they mean

From: pls
Subject: Re: Chords and what they mean
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 13:29:14 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>> Hello Kaj,
>>
>> On 17.09.2015 09:27, address@hidden wrote:
>>>
>>> First I will declare, that I am not 100 percent sure this is a bug, but
>>> friends of mine, musicians, say it probably is. Also, as I am not an expert,
>>> I have tried to learn by searching on among others Wikipedia.
>>>
>>> It is about chords, a few of them. It started when I should clean write a
>>> score from a manuscript. In one measure there were noted two chords, C5 and
>>> C. Obviously not the same, as they stood just beside of each other. A search
>>> on Wikipedia also told me, and this was also confirmed, the author's
>>> intention, that C5 means C(no 3), hence <c g>, while the chord C means <c e
>>> g>. But LilyPond treats these two the same and produces the same notes. This
>>> is also clearly said e.g. in Appendices A.1 and A.2 of Notation Reference,
>>> as well as in the text part. However even if possibly a correct procedure,
>>> is it a correct practise?
>>>
>>> Another such discrepancy is about Csus, which Wikipedia (and my friends)
>>> says is equivalent to Csus4, hence <c f g>. But LilyPond produces <c g>,
>>> hence what should come from the notation C5 as in the previous paragraph.
>>>
>>> So, what is the truth?
>>

>> There are others who are more into the subject, but I may say:
>> There is no ‘truth’. With chord names, there are so many different
>> conventions and fiercely defended convictions that it’s impossible to define
>> a single ‘standard’ naming scheme. (Edit: just like the NR says)
>
> Very true.
> It's a mess, but LilyPond can handle it. ;)
>

>> Many things in the chords rendering may be overridden in LilyPond. In case
>> you’re not aware yet, check out
>> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/displaying-chords#customizing-chord-names>
>> and perhaps the LSR <http://lsr.di.unimi.it>. If that doesn’t cover your
>> wishes, you may come back with a code example, I’d suggest.
>>
>> HTH, Simon
>
> chrds =
> \chordmode {
>     \set chordNameExceptions =
>       #(append
>              powerChordExceptions
>              ignatzekExceptions)
>     c:1.4.5
>     c:1.5
>     \notemode {
>     <c' f' g'>
>     <c' g'>
>     }
> }
>
> <<
>     \new Staff \chrds
>     \new ChordNames \chrds
>>>

> If it's not sufficient you can set your own 'exceptions' for
> chord-naming, see the links Simon provided.
>
> HTH,
>   Harm

It's not necessary to define power chord exceptions.  They are already
defined. All you have to do is:

chrds = {
  \powerChords
  % e.g.
  \chordmode { c,:1.5 }
  % or e.g.
  <c, g>
  }

<<
  \new Staff \chrds
  \new ChordNames \chrds

BTW: The power chord examples here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/common-chord-modifiers
are not complete. The chord names are missing.

hth
patrick