Re: Chords and what they mean

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Chords and what they mean
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 11:45:36 -0400

Hi Urs,

> the question of "simpler" is a question of context (i.e. background on the
> reader's part).

Agreed.

“Simpler” is also a question of practicality: for most pianists I know or have
worked with, Bb7/D is significantly easier to parse at sight than A#7/Cx,
regardless of what comes before or after.

And, yes, that’s an actual example from a musical theatre song of mine. After
much internal debate and many discussions with trusted colleagues, I ultimately
chose the harmonically-incorrect but easier-to-sight-read Bb7/D. Anyone who
would prefer A#7/Cx is free to write it in by hand.  =)

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info